I am gay. I did not decide to be gay. I did not choose to be gay. I AM gay. Just as I am male, I am Caucasian, I am human. I did not choose any of these attributes; I was born that way. I could choose to deny my sexuality, my race, my gender, my species. But I would be living the life of someone else, I would be living a lie.
I keep thinking of the bumper sticker that reads, "God, protect me from your followers." This is sad, but so very true. This country was founded with a belief in religious freedom and freedom from religious persecution. The "preachers" of hate wish to convert, to "purify", to "save". I have my own faith and do not wish to be converted. I am pure in the eyes of my god. I do not need to be "saved" for I am not lost, I am not innately in peril.
To the "preachers" of hate I pose the following. I am not a follower of your faith. I do not believe in the hateful and vindictive god you worship. I believe in a caring, loving, and accepting god. My god created me this way for a reason. Who am I to judge my god's purpose in creating me this way. And who are you to judge my god. I do not judge your god. I do not try to "save" you by imposing my beliefs on you. If you wish to "save" me, save me from your fear-mongering, your persecution, your discrimination, your hate.
I have a few questions for the zealots out there.
- If marriage is a religious institution, why does the State sanction it? Is this not a violation of the separation of Church and State?
- If marriage is a civil contract, why restrict entry into this contract? Is this not discrimination based on the gender of the parties involved?
- The biggest threat to marriage is not my desire to be with someone I love. The biggest threat to marriage is divorce.
.If you would like to learn the truth about homosexuality, our struggles, our differences, our similarities, our support, visit the links below.
- Parents, Family, and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (www.pflag.org)
- Whitman-Walker Clinic (www.wwc.org)
If you wish to help in the fight against these right-wing, fear-mongering, bigoted zealots, join or donate to the organizations below.
- Equality Virginia (www.equalityvirginia.org)
- The Human Rights Campaign (www.hrc.org)
- The National Task Force (www.thetaskforce.org)
- Lambda Legal Defense Fund (www.lambdalegal.com)
- The American Civil Liberties Union (www.aclu.org)
- Gay & Lesbian Advocates & Defenders (www.glad.org)
- Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (www.glaad.org)
- Gay, Lesbian, Straight Education Network (www.glsen.org)
- Gay and Lesbian Victory Fund (www.victoryfund.org)