- Systems Administration Duties:
Performs application support and administration for the various ITSS systems, as well as other external university systems. This includes working with necessary internal and external sources to insure ITSS systems remain reliable, available and secure. Takes lead responsibility for the quality of inventory data and insuring its accuracy by developing reporting, evaluation and remediation.
- Perform application administration for ITSS systems, including KACE, JAMF, Bomgar, RoomView, and other systems that become ITSS responsibility.
- Perform support and administration for various systems external to ITSS like Zoom Meetings, Zoom Phone, Symantec Endpoint Protection and other systems as directed.
- Work with UMW and outside support personnel as needed to maintain, repair or enhance ITSS systems.
- Provide proactive monitoring of ITSS systems log files, error / event logs, security logs and similar records on a recurring basis to identify and isolate potential system or security concerns for interfaces.
- Learn features of ITSS systems and provide recommendations as to how those systems can improve ITSS services, processes, efficiency and accuracy.
- Provide implementation expertise and planing to enable various functions of ITSS systems.
- Work with systems group as needed to provide adequate access and security to ITSS systems.
- Ensure timely and effective resolution to both technical and operational problems.
- Supervision and Level Two Support for Daily Help Desk Services:
Works and manages to deliver consistent and high quality service to all Help Desk customers. Also provides Level Two support for tickets not resolved by other Help Desk staff. Coordinates with personnel in other IT divisions to resolve issues as quickly as possible.
- Training, supervising, directing and deploying student employees to meet client needs.
- Lead in creation and updating of various Help Desk documentation for internal and external users.
- Assist with hardware evaluation and support for walk-up customers.
- Escalate and re-assign tickets as appropriate.
- Research and work with vendor support resources to resolve Level 2 support issues.
- Coordinate with personnel in other IT divisions to resolve issues as quickly as possible.
- Help Desk Service Evaluation and Improvement, IT Purchase Reviews, and Special Projects:
Analyze and evaluate the daily service of the Help Desk utilizing internal metrics from service desk systems as well as surveys to clients and other measures. Work with the other Co-Manager Help Desk Supervisor to improve and optimize Help Desk services based on results of analysis. Provide first level review of IT purchase requests, including working with requestors to clarify issues, and to move requests that require IT review forward. Assist the other Co-Manager of ITSS by providing leadership on special projects, including Service Desk optimizations, Service Desk reporting and analysis, implementation of new systems, and other projects as requested.
- Regularly meet with ITSS Co-Manager, Help Desk Supervisor, and Desktop technicians to identify areas for improvement.
- Work to implement improved processes and procedures based on identified areas for improvement.
- Work with Co-Manager and others in ITSS to identify new processes or procedures enabled by KACE, Bomgar, and other ITSS managed systems.
- Develop pilot projects as needed to Test new processes and procedures.
- Provide other application administration and technical support based on departmental needs and expertise.
- Work with representatives from the IT business Office, UMW purchasing and others in IT to improve the IT purchase request, review and approval processes.
- Setup, review and adjust routine reporting of ITSS metrics to the Co-Manager and others, including web-based posting of selected metrics.
- Direct, manage and supervise IT Help Desk operations, personnel and student workers (Performance Management). Prioritize and manage incident response. Establish, monitor and publish incident response metrics and generally ensure outstanding, proactive IT customer service.Identify training needs and opportunities based upon Help Desk system data analyses, special IT projects and initiatives, and areas of strategic IT focus.
- Plan, manage and coordinate annual and ongoing faculty/staff computer upgrades and replacements as well as classroom and lab technology upgrades and replacements. Develop comprehensive plan/proposal for ongoing replacements per industry standards/peer institutions, including corresponding budget proposal recommendations for various (example: 3-year, 4-year, 5-year) replacement cycle scenarios. Coordinate with IT Business Manager, Procurement, applicable vendors and user stakeholders as appropriate, to develop equipment (computer, AV, etc.) and imaging standards informed by best practice, support capability/efficiencies, user requirements, and teaching/learning goals.
- Manage a variety of complex special projects and initiatives to: help reduce ongoing IT operating costs; improve and enhance IT support services and/or support efficiencies; support university sustainability goals; encourage user adoption of appropriate technologies for administrative or academic purposes.